Thursday, January 1, 2009

When you're a dork like this, 2009 does it like that

I believe the greatest part of being on the earth is simply, being on the earth. I love life. I love being able to choose my own conscious decisions, my own transgressions, my own activities, and creating memories. The greatest part simply for me about living, is making a difference. I don't necessarily believe in New Years resolutions, not too many of them actually mean anything of importance or an actual goal-driven lifestyle, rather its a venue for which one can vent upon chances one wishes for their life, that won't actually require change. So instead of listing a New Years list, how about I challenge you to making a difference. Sounds hard or demanding, time or work wise? It truly isn't.

I can make a positive change easily. And so can you. Recently, since being on a Christmas break, I've been volunteering at a soup kitchen in the city where I live in. It demands an afternoon once every other week of me, and I'm glad to help. What else would I be doing anyways, reading some lame blog like this or lazing around the house on a Saturday? I really encourage everyone to try some type of volunteer work, whether it be at a food bank, or a shelter, every little bit counts. Being able to put a genuine smile on someone's face is worth its weight in gold to me, and I'm glad to be part of a positive impact on someone's life. Like kids and have no criminal record? Why don't you volunteer to be a Big Brother or a Big Sister? I've just recently applied to become a Big Brother, so I can help influence and mentor a junior highschool aged boy to become the best of his potential. Lord willing, I'll be accepted. There's nothing like taking part in someone else's life so you can positively encourage and influence them.

Okay
, so you're interested in possibly volunteer work. Sounds like a lot of work to get into, right? Not true. Its as simple as picking up the phone and asking an Operator to connect you to the nearest Homeless shelter (that's what I did). Volunteer work isn't hard to find, it just takes dedication and soul, and the drive to see that your work is positively influencing someone else in a tougher situation.

-Tyler Stunna-




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow. this impacted me. i really am going to look around for a homeless shelter around me. thank you for this.

Post a Comment