Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The shallows.

Wind chimes sound in the distance, resonating through the cool air. The sun, with its faint rays settling in the distance, slightly illuminated the murky, shallow water. A cold breeze rustled across the water and lightly caused her hair to stand on end; I was wearing more clothes than her. This lake we were on was largely a great sandbar, the deepest part of this great expanse was 20 feet in the middle; how aberrant and unfamiliar it looked at night, unable to see to the bottom. The darkness of the water stared right back at me, it was as if God had taken a great brush and had swept the surface with a depressing black, as if it were a polluted oil which had oppressively taken over this shallow, empty lake. She turned to look at me, her hair gracefully tumbling over her shoulders, and her dark brown eyes catching mine, holding contact, holding her emotions inside her. This wasn't like we imagined it would be like. A sharp crackle appeared behind us. I slowly craned my neck and looked behind us. The pools of darkness behind us made it indistinguishable to see physical shapes at all. She spoke, softly, but with great meaning, "Are you sure this is what you want?"
I looked back down at the dock, admiring the creaking, sagging, and weatherbeaten boards. It was like us, taking a lot of stress, holding to the breaking point, but still putting up, shutting up, making it work. It wasn't that I had no feelings for her, after all, one glance at her features would make a normal man a babbling, awkward fool, it was just ...
She touched my hand, and spoke again, "Are you alright?" I finally mobilized myself to completely face her. With the fading light, I could barely make out her face. Her tanned skin and excessively white teeth seemed so vain to me at this moment. Her slim, tall frame looked as if it had been folded, and her knees were at her chest, resting, waiting, commiserating for her. I replied. "I'm alright." She looked away, her dark hair fleeing me, her face betraying her fear, of losing me.
My thoughts ran, escaped my mind. Back to how we'd first met each other, how we'd began to be great friends before we began to be lovers. How intertwined our lives were, where her hand was in mine whenever we were together. It's unfortunate how a span of events began to spiral, twist and lead to places we could never have foreseen, ever. The chill of the air began to set in on us hard. She moved closer, her hand resting near mine, her fingers gripped tightly together. When she told me she wanted me forever, I began to pull away. After all, we're too young, I'm way too dumb, and this won't last forever... was I really "too legit too commit"?
I looked over and swept her dark hair away, it felt so good to touch her.
"I don't know where this is going," I said.
She looked down for a while. I tilted her chin up, her eyes searching, peering, and intruding my space, breaking me down like I am helpless and there is nothing else.
"Forget where we should have left off," she whispered, her voice wavering, flickering at the end of her sentence.
I lightly grabbed her arm, as she resisted, and began to pull away, her beautiful lips not trembling, but her face creasing in hurt.
"Stop this," I proclaimed, my voice echoing harshly over the water.
I couldn't do this, and I can't walk away, when she cares so much about me.
The water, as beautiful as it was, is based on a shallow, a superficial foundation, just like me.
I push away those who get too close to me, was it out of fear, or a lack of commitment? Or worse, was it because I couldn't trust those who want to know me best?
I looked at her, closed my eyes, and drew her in. I want this girl.
She deserved someone so much better.



1 comment:

- said...

you amaze me, Tyler.

Post a Comment