Wednesday, December 24, 2008

How Do I Handle Myself?

Often, the most difficult challenges we face seem much worse than what they actually are. We often face preconceived notions from others that are unfair, or we face adverse objections from friends closest to us, or we eventually are betrayed by our own weaknesses. As a result, the feeling of dread (and in some cases, a loss of sanity) may occur, revealing a character streak that put bluntly, should have stayed hidden.
you don't really know someone until you seem them angry.
I reflect on my own behavior and the choices I make when I'm particularly challenged or upset. Am I saying things that hurt others? Am I letting others down by placing blame on someone other than myself when I am the one responsible for my mistake?
Now before this note heads into a quick stop in Sceneville, I must give myself a warning. When things grow out of my control, how do I handle myself? I ask myself this question and the famous Soviet cosmonaut, Valentin Lebedev, reminds me of the answer. Lebedev spent 211 days aboard the Salyut 7 space station, and the diary he kept became a cautionary tale. Depression and anxiety were constant reminders of how lonely he was and how frustrated he was becoming without human contact. In the same way, when you're in a strange environment like Lebedev, or when you face challenges that you feel you cannot deal with, do you lash out, or as Lebedev, "begin to count the days" until you can leave your situation or avoid your challenge altogether?
Hey, just some things to think about.

-Tyler Stunna-

No comments:

Post a Comment